24 March 2010

how to prevent dress stealing/childish antics.

First of all, I apologize in advanced for the couple of posts to come in the future about prom. This year for prom, one of my classmates came up with an ingenious idea to start a facebook group to ensure that no one at our all girls school, would wear the same dress. I happen to think it's an amazing idea! As soon as a girl has bought the dress / is strongly considering buying it then they post a picture on the groups wall to officially "claim" the dress. I love the idea, because in all honesty, who wants to spend such a special night, comparing yourself to a girl who has the exact same dress as you. Trust me, if that happened to me, I would spend the night making absolute sure I was at opposite ends of the room from the other girl. Oh boy. While I think this is a fabulous idea, lately it's been having many adverse consequences. Lots of drama, but then again, what else is new at an all girls school, right? Save the drama for your mama ladies! But however, I also love seeing everyone's dresses too, beforehand!! It seems the trend this year is long, bright prints. When I went shopping at this Ambiance store on Haight, notorious for their evening dress selection, they told me the contrary, the trend this year was short, dresses. Hmmm, since when have short prom dresses been the trend? What do you think??

Besides the fact, it's starting to hit me that April is going to be a crazy fun month. Spring break/my New York trip is next week, I have to be in a fashion show, mid April, where I'll be in two segments, the prom segment (I will definitely be getting my money's worth from my prom dress, and I'm hoping I can milk free tailoring?? I think yes.), and a party clothes segment. It should be quite exciting.

Hmmm, and to conclude my completely random post about essentially nothing important, I would like to add a final thought on the recent healthcare reform. Let's be honest here, of course this is going to be a HUGE burden to many Americans, in the form of taxes, but I personally think that extending healthcare to millions, is the responsible, and the right thing to do. I must add that I am completely entertained by the GOP's childish antics in the House lately. It's fantastic right? Even if you are a Republican, you have to find some humor in the immaturity of your party. Why can't we all just get along? Thoughts? Perspectives? Ideas? Opinions? Please do share if you feel so inclined to!
Stay classy Mr. Bill. Someone needs to teach the two Houses how to have some class.

stay classy,
madeleine

5 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Lots to look forward to in April- how fun that you are doing to NYC and going to be in fashion shows!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Hmmm, since I am known to be very honest I hope you forgive me my honesty lol :) I don't think it's such a good idea and I honestly think girls stress about the whole same dress thing too much. I can understand why it might be upsetting though, but I believe it all starts in your mind. It happened to me too, I woudl wear something and see another girl wearing the same piece. But, what's important is that as everyone is unique, the same dress would always look different on different people. Plus, it's higly unlikely you'd end up wearing exactly teh same shoes with it, exactly the same hair dos, exactly teh same accsessories etc, you get the idea ;-) So I'd say, when choosing the dress, find something that is really yours, that looks great on YOU - then no matter who else wears the same thing you can be sure that you wear it best. Serisouly, it's all about confidence and knwing your worth. While the other girl would standing there stressing about seeing you in "her" dress, you'd just smile and walk with your head help up high. Now who do you think would get noticed and complimented on looking great? ;)

ra said...

As much as I like short dresses I think I want my grad dress (or 'prom' as the americans have)to be floor length, for the time being thats my only non-negotionable. there's just something about floor length dresses that makes everything seem all the more special, or is that just me?

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Well, I gotta say on the FB dress idea- I think it's pretty stupid (sorry!). I'm about 8 years out of high school but I can still see the drama that would create. It then becomes a competition. And what if someone loads the picture of their dress but another girl doesn't but wears the same dress- should she not have worn it because someone else "claimed" it???? I don't know, seems super juvenile and elitist to me. People should get the dress they want. No insult to you at all! Sorry, I just think that's a horrible/stupid idea (unless this was a group for like 7 best friends, then I could see it). On the other hand, sounds like April will be really fun for you!!!!! I can't wait to see what dress you pick. And oh healthcare, I feel like I don't even have air in my lungs to discuss it further.

Erin said...

Ohhh long dress for sure...I mean you get barely any opportunity to wear a floor length gown so make the most outta it ;)

Love love love,

Erin

xx