05 April 2010

The Cupcake Diaries

Magnolia Bakery

New York City
1240 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
(212) 767-1123
www.magnoliacupcakes.com



Visited this cute corner bakery while walking around Rockefeller Center. I opened the door to an overpoweringly strong scent of sugar... which I usually find pleasant, except that there were so many people in the little tiny bakery that I just couldn't stand the smell/lack of space/body heat. Personally, I did not like the cupcakes all too much. The decor of the bakery is very cute though! Very clean, cute, and light. For being located in a heavy tourist spot, I'd say the bakery takes full advantage of the Rockefeller crowds. When I went outside to catch my breath, and get some air, I stood in front of the store window and watched a very declicious Red Velvet cake being made. Another day I walked by to see some of the bakers frosting cupcakes with beautiful pastel vanilla frostings! But like I said, the cupcakes aren't exactly to die for, the frosting is very sweet, for my taste, but the cake is very moist! If you're not into the touristy crowd, or the overwhelming numbers, Magnolia has 2 other locations, one in the Upper West Side, and in West Village. Although Magnolia has been featured in Sex In The City, I hate to say their cupcakes were not fantastic, but then again, I haven't tried their other baked goods! I would probably skip Magnolia Bakery if I was in the area again... but that's just me!

-Price Per Cupcake: $2.75
-Store Decor: B-
-Yelp gives it 3 stars.
-I give it 3 stars.

stay classy,
madeleine

5 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I LOVE Magnolia! I waited in line there longer than it took to actually eat the cupcake lol. Totally worth it!

livin wide said...

mmmmm i want. still have never been. =(

Erin said...

Tehe well I for one am absolutley obsessed with cupcakes but am trying my very hardest to ration them :)

Love love love,

Erin

xx

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Too bad they weren't fantastic!!! I'm sorry to hear that. But- they are super dern cute!!!! Looks like you are having a great time.

Cafe Fashionista said...

The location in the West Village is actually the best. Check that location out before you write them off completely - the ambiance is eclectic and cute! :)