30 December 2009

remember the time

As 2010 is quickly approaching... by quickly I mean in the next 48 hours. I'd like to reflect on the quirky year of 2009. I'd reflect on the past decade, but that'd be essentially looking back on more than half my life... so lets just stick to this year.
I can't say 2009 was my best year... it was probably the worst year I have experienced thus far, in fact. I lost my grandma in November and I dealt with this grief in the most ineffective way possible... which lead me to being diagnosed with depression and bipolarity. These emotional ordeals were no fun to deal with, especially during my junior year.
But lets stop being so down on ourselves yeah?
This year, despite it's tragedies, was nonetheless an important, learning year for me. I've learned what's really important to me. Which is friends and family. Through all of this my life long best friend was always there for me, and for that I am so thankful. Malia is the best friend anyone could possibly have, and her continuous support and love has always gotten me through the rough spots. There's a quote that I have come to find more and more true:

"There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will"

Malia is one of those people I have come to realize will always matter... even if we are at opposite ends of the country next year! After all, there's a reason why we've been best friends for 12 years and counting!
Though our friendship, by no means, has been defined by 2009... it has certainly helped me get through the year!
This year I truly found what mattered to me, and who mattered to me. I have lived, I have loved, I have laughed, I have cried.

Cheers 2009!

stay classy,



listening to: try sleeping with a broken heart - alicia keys

4 comments:

yiqin; said...

Have a good NYE :)

Sailor Jamee said...

sounds like you've had a rough year. i have empathy for you...but i KNOW 2010 will be better for us all! a new decade, new adventures.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Oh, I absolutely adore this tribute to Malia - good friends are hard to come by, and she sounds fantastic!

Happy, Happy New Year my love!!

By the way..."Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart" - such a fabulous song!! :)

inanenglishaccent said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
and 2009 has been moving for me too. Probably not in the same way as it was for you, but I went through bulimia, my first real like for a guy, messes in my family, and finding the most amazing friends!
hope 2010 is amazing for you
and the person who's got me through this year lives in another country, but it's amazing