24 February 2010

little secrets.

Today I took a midterm for my AP art history class... A midterm in February? I know right? A bit outrageous, if you ask me. Anyways, despite the fact that I absolutely love the era we're studying, Renaissance painting/sculpture/architecture, I have this terrible feeling that I bombed the test. Not much I can do now though, I suppose.

Anyways, I thought I'd post a picture of my recently completed collage:
(currently) Untitled - 12x12"


So funny story... This project, along with my other painting which is in progress, was selected for my art class and teacher to critique this week. All I could think was, "Shit, now I have to make up some ridiculous reasoning explaining my thought process behind this"... and that's what precisely what I did.

I constructed this multimedia collage/project to signify the importance of independence. I started this project during Valentines day, and essentially, this is supposed to represent a almost satire-like commentary on the holiday. On the borders are bits from the Commitments section of the newspaper... the ripped up, separated bits, symbolizing the superficiality of some marriages. I added pink flowers, butterflies, angels, etc. to cause an emotional overload on viewers, overwhelming them with Valentines nostalgia. Does it seem overly sentimental? Yes- and that is my intention, because that is precisely what I believe Valentines Day is...overly sentimental and superficial-at least in the way our culture portrays it. The central image of the piece is the single woman, almost liberated from the picture. Who says Valentines Day requires a significant other?

I pulled out something along those lines when giving my little artist commentary. Honestly, when I was working on this, I was just having fun! Was that meaning what I intended from the very beginning? Nope. But now that I created a fabulous story behind it, it's quite believable.... right? However, I'm not that much of a critic of Valentines Day.... afterall, no one likes a Debbie Downer.

In other news, my trip to Arizona for a weekend in March for Giants spring training, is all planned out! Everything except the hotel. Anyone know any fabulous hotels in the Scottsdale, AZ area? Hmmm. Nonetheless, I can't wait! I'm planning on getting a nice tan (I'm hoping no sunburns like last year!), watching some good baseball, and meeting some of the amazing players. I love spring training! I'm an avid, no, diehard, no, EXTREME SF Giants fan... it's my little secret!

What's your little secret? ;]

P.S. Follow me on TWITTER! please and thank you.

stay classy,
madeleine

7 comments:

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Soooo pretty! Oh my word! I am in love and I'm not just saying that, I really would hang that proudly! I love art-oriented classes as well but I always found the tests so hard to study for because it's hard to remember imagery with text (for me at least!) Beautiful work! Following you on Twitter now too :) @caitielady08

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Fabulous collage! I just followed you on Twitter! :)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I totally know what you mean about havign to make something up in oder to be able to explain the story, idea and reason behind your creation... As if there has to be one! I believe such things should be felt and not explained, because sometimes you really can't put it into words - you just do it how you feel!

Serg Riva said...

nothing wrong with the giants.

Erin said...

Just read through some of your posts and decided I have to follow you right back...they're all so thoughtful and funny...thank you for your lovely comment...adore your blog!

Will definitly be back :)

Love love love,

Erin

xx

Erin said...

Ha, I always do the exact same...my art teacher is never satisfied when I say something along the lines of "I painted it like this because I thought it'd look nice"...I hope you have a good time in Arizona!

Love love love,

Erin,

xx

Cafe Fashionista said...

I absolutely love your work - your collages are always so creative and full of life! :)